To provide additional funding to Oakland Verified Equity Applicants, the City of Oakland offers an “Education Grant” in collaboration with Oaksterdam University and Elevate Impact Oakland. Grant funds will be provided to Oakland Verified Equity Applicants who received a certificate of completion from one of Oaksterdam’s Certification Programs, either self-paced or in the live cohort model, which are described further below.
The Education Grant is available as follows:
- $5,000 to Oakland Verified Equity Applicants who have a City of Oakland cannabis permit and a current business lease (additional requirements described below).
- $1,000 to Oakland Verified Equity Applicants who have a City of Oakland business license, but have not been issued a City of Oakland cannabis permit and/or do not have a lease (additional requirements described below)
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR THE EDUCATION GRANT
The grant will be paid to eligible Oakland Verified Equity Applicants who have:
- Received a certificate of completion from any one of Oaksterdam’s Certification Programs, either self-paced or in the live cohort model, including, but not necessarily limited to:
- Business of Cannabis (self-paced online or live/virtual)
- Commercial Horticulture (self-paced online or live/virtual)
- Manufacturing and Extractions (self-paced online)
To register for an Education Grant certification course, please complete the Oaksterdam Needs Assessment found here. The Oaksterdam University Certification Programs are free for Oakland Verified Equity Applicants.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR THE EDUCATION GRANT
In addition, the Verified Equity Applicant must meet the Basic Grant requirements including:
- Completed the equity grant underwriting process described here at ElevateImpactOakland.com – “How to Apply for a Grant”.
- Enrollment in the business coaching program called the GRASS program, application found here:
- Have a current City of Oakland business tax certificate
- Sign City of Oakland Grant Agreement
ADDITIONAL BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR $5,000 EDUCATION GRANT
- Have current lease or sublease, with stated rent amount
- Have current insurance policy that meets the City of Oakland requirements
- If the applicant has an equity loan outstanding, they must be current and not delinquent on loan payments
This Education Grant is in addition to the other City of Oakland Cannabis Equity Grant and Loan Programs that are available to Oakland Verified Equity Applicants.