STEP 1: Prerequisites
Applicants must complete the steps listed on the “Before you Apply” page to apply for a grant from the City of Oakland. Depending on which funding tier is being sought, additional materials may be required to complete the online application.
STEP 2: Online Application
Applicants must submit the grant application online; the application requires all prerequisite materials, as well as materials specific to the applicant’s grant amount.
STEP 3: Application Review
Grant applications will be reviewed by an Elevate Impact Grant Manager to ensure that the applicant has met the Tier requirements and submitted the required documents for that Tier.
- If the Application is complete, the Applicant will receive an email confirming that the application is complete and has been sent to the Grant Committee for review.
- If the Application is not complete, the Applicant will receive an email explaining which documents are missing and/or which Tier requirements have not been met. The Applicant will be able to complete and resubmit their application.
STEP 4: Grant Committee Review
Completed grant applications will be submitted to the Elevate Impact Grant Committee for review and scoring according to the Equity Assessment Scorecard. Click here to view and download a copy of the scorecard. A Grant Application must receive a minimum score of 60 out of 100 points to be approved for a grant.
- If the Grant Application scores 60 points or more, the Applicant will receive an email saying that the application has been approved and will be sent to an Elevate Impact Grant Manager for loan closing.
- If the Grant Application scores 59 points or less, the Applicant will receive an email explaining that they did not meet the minimum score of 60 points. A Grant Committee member will call and/or meet with the Applicant to explain what they can do to improve their score. The Applicant can resubmit their Grant Application to improve their score.
STEP 5: Grant Closing
When an applicant’s grant is approved, the Elevate Impact Grant Manager will:
- Send an email to the Applicant and to the City of Oakland stating that the grant has been approved.
- Meet with the Applicant to review, complete and sign the closing documents.
- Send completed grant documents to City of Oakland for City’s signature and payment processing.
STEP 6: Grant Funding
Once funds are available, the City of Oakland will contact the applicant to arrange pick up of the grant payment check and fully executed Grant Agreement at the Special Activity Permits Office, and sign the check receipt.
Step 7: Quotes and Receipts
A) Quotes. For audit purposes, applicants will be required to submit estimates or quotes for each budget line item. The amount on the quote/estimate must match the amount on the budget.
B) Receipts. For audit purposes, after the disbursement of the funds, the Grantee will be required to submit receipts for each item on the grant budget totaling the amount of this disbursement. It is a requirement that the receipts match the items on the grant budget. If the receipt amount varies from the budgeted amount, a budget modification will be required. Receipts must be uploaded by the earlier of: (i) the next loan or grant disbursement to the Grantee; or (ii) six months after the effective date of the grant agreement.
C) Budget modification: If an applicant does not spend the amount outlined on the budget or wishes to introduce a different budget item with a new quote/estimate, a budget modification will be required. This will include:
- a submission of the original budget with quotes
- identification of the line items that need to be changed on the original budget
- submission of new quotes/estimates for the new line items
- submission of a revised budget with the applicant’s signature